Summersider Forum Index Summersider
Summerside, Scarborough

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did your house hold up to the storm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Summersider Forum Index -> Summersider - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: How did your house hold up to the storm? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

So with the first big storm over with, how did your house hold up? Ours did pretty well other than a few things:

1) The wind was pounding it, so it was very cold inside. The heating system had a hard time keeping the house at 70. Can't wait for the gas bill. Smile

2) Came down in the morning and we had a nice little pile of snow on our dinning room floor. The wind was blowing snow right through our French doors. I have mentioned this to Mattamy quite a few times... they always tell me that it's ok, it's good to have some cracks to let the house breath. Ok, I agree with that but I don't want snow inside. Smile

3) We have a microwave/hood fan combo and the inside of it and the cupboard over it was colder than the fridge. I guess the wind was blowing right into the vent. Not sure if this is normal or not.

How about you guys?

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heating system takes about 3 hours to adjusting the house from 65 (during the day while we are out) to 70, and in between it had to stop a few times before reach 70, I guess it can only run certain amount of time at once.

A little pile of snow on floor? How big is the leak? Take a picture and send it to warranty office, I believe they can replace/adjust the weather strip/french door for you right away.

My first floor is always freezing cold and in these days, it's 'seven colder. We use it as a cold room for pop and beer storage.
adrian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headachefree wrote:
My heating system takes about 3 hours to adjusting the house from 65 (during the day while we are out) to 70, and in between it had to stop a few times before reach 70, I guess it can only run certain amount of time at once.

A little pile of snow on floor? How big is the leak? Take a picture and send it to warranty office, I believe they can replace/adjust the weather strip/french door for you right away.

My first floor is always freezing cold and in these days, it's 'seven colder. We use it as a cold room for pop and beer storage.

my first floor is freezing cold also...have no idea how i would use it as a family room if i needed to

i dont think your heating system should stop until it hits its temperature goal though....that doesnt sound right....check up on that
adrian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: How did your house hold up to the storm? Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Hello everyone,

So with the first big storm over with, how did your house hold up? Ours did pretty well other than a few things:

1) The wind was pounding it, so it was very cold inside. The heating system had a hard time keeping the house at 70. Can't wait for the gas bill. Smile

2) Came down in the morning and we had a nice little pile of snow on our dinning room floor. The wind was blowing snow right through our French doors. I have mentioned this to Mattamy quite a few times... they always tell me that it's ok, it's good to have some cracks to let the house breath. Ok, I agree with that but I don't want snow inside. Smile

3) We have a microwave/hood fan combo and the inside of it and the cupboard over it was colder than the fridge. I guess the wind was blowing right into the vent. Not sure if this is normal or not.

How about you guys?

Phil

wow 70F, damn you like your home cold eh, i have my home at 75F, and my heating system doesnt seem to have a problem doing the job

All 3 of your issues i would address to your customer care rep
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headachefree wrote:

That sounds pretty much like ours. I think it might have had a hard time keeping up because the wind was constantly blowing on our house. Right now I have it set to 70 and it's perfectly fine. It will come on every once in a while for a few minutes.

headachefree wrote:

I should have taken a picture but my first thought was to clean it up. Smile I brought it to their attention a while back and they suggested to leave it so the house could breath... not sure I like that idea any more. I will get them in here soon!

headachefree wrote:

I know, it's terrible down there. It's because it's built right on the slab of concrete. Maybe they should have put floor heating on that level.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian wrote:
my first floor is freezing cold also...have no idea how i would use it as a family room if i needed to

I feel bad for the people that do have more than just a utility room on the first level. It's terrible! Brr.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How did your house hold up to the storm? Reply with quote

adrian wrote:

wow 70F, damn you like your home cold eh, i have my home at 75F, and my heating system doesnt seem to have a problem doing the job

I find 70 warm to tell you the truth. Smile I like 68 most of the time.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have our house set at 68F (20C). We find that our main and second floors are kept close to that temperature, but the ground floor is also very cold.

According to a digital thermometer we have, our ground floor was 58F (14.5C) on a cold day. And to think that we actually had 2 heat vents missing on our ground floor. We had to ask the builder to install 2 missing heat vents. I don't know how cold it would have been if we didn't have those missing vents installed.

How are everybody else's ground floor temperatures like? Also, how many heat vents do you have on the ground floor?
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
We also have our house set at 68F (20C). We find that our main and second floors are kept close to that temperature, but the ground floor is also very cold.

According to a digital thermometer we have, our ground floor was 58F (14.5C) on a cold day. And to think that we actually had 2 heat vents missing on our ground floor. We had to ask the builder to install 2 missing heat vents. I don't know how cold it would have been if we didn't have those missing vents installed.

How are everybody else's ground floor temperatures like? Also, how many heat vents do you have on the ground floor?

Hi Michael,

58?? Wow, talk about cold!! Our ground floor is also very very cold.

Funny, the first time it got really cold down there, I noticed that we didn't have any vents either. They ended up installing two for us but honestly, it really doesn't do much. I found that if I leave the laundry room door open, it helps warm it up a little bit.

What model do you have?

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Vents Reply with quote

I had (and still have) the same cold ground floor problem and I've found one way to minmize the cold for minimal cost.

I'm in a Rockbury end unit so my ground floor is a foyer, an office (we use it as an extended lobby with wood floors (oh - huge warmth savings here) and it has the furnace room under the stairs.

I basically added two vents to the furnace room (1 high and 1 low) to capture and share the heat generated from the furnace room and have seen the temperature drop significantly. I don't have a thermometer to measure, but I know it has helped.

Cost of the vents were $8/each
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vents Reply with quote

rogerthompson wrote:
I had (and still have) the same cold ground floor problem and I've found one way to minmize the cold for minimal cost.

I'm in a Rockbury end unit so my ground floor is a foyer, an office (we use it as an extended lobby with wood floors (oh - huge warmth savings here) and it has the furnace room under the stairs.

I basically added two vents to the furnace room (1 high and 1 low) to capture and share the heat generated from the furnace room and have seen the temperature drop significantly. I don't have a thermometer to measure, but I know it has helped.

Cost of the vents were $8/each

Indeed, that does help. I leave our furnace room door open too and I do notice a difference. The temperature may be warmer but the floor is still icy cold. Brr.

Does your floor still stay really cold with this method?

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floors seem to be a reasonable temperature. Overall the entire situation is not ideal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Summersider Forum Index -> Summersider - General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: